Wednesday, August 19, 2009


Cult poster "Are You a Preppie"
Retrieved from our companys overnight apartment where it has hung (rather unappreciated) for the better part of the last 5 years.
Utter blasphemy, I didn't even knew this gem existed until yesterday.

Designed by actor Tom Shadyac while attending UVA apparently.

Now, to the shady business...

This one's printed 1979 by Greenpoint Posters, but there are facts pointing to that this poster (and similar ones covering other "themes")
was first issued as early as 1975/76, no matter what, it pre-dates the Official Preppy Handbook!

It changes the whole perspective of OPH, it's originality and the attention it got!
Dudes, this is my Watergate!
(I'll be looking over my shoulders for OCBD/TNSIL spooks performing wet jobs for Lisa Birnbach from now on...)

Anyway, here's a much sought after high res picture of the sucker, enjoy!


Very hush hush on the QT.
Woodward & Bernstein

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, it pre-dates the preppy handbook. Published in 79. There is a page dedicated to the poster in this month's Univeristy of Virginia magazine!

joebaia said...

Yep - this was Shadyac's brainchild - and a Sigma Chi group effort starring Spencer Tunnell as the Poster Child. this along with the Gator Hater T-shirts was the fruitless stab at the preppies. (we were a house divided) Joe B

Rippedbackpocket said...

Thanks for the feedback Joe!
(Finally a post that generates some good comments, need to step up my game..)

Swissgirl said...

Wasn't there a female version of this poster? I went to UVA 1981 - 83 and I swear I remember a female version of this--a Buffy Worthington Langdon or something like that . . .

Rippedbackpocket said...

I think you're right Swissgirl, there were a couple of different ones if I'm not wrong. Have yet to find good pictures of them, will pursue and publish.

Unknown said...

I have a “Are you A Preppette?” Jigsaw Puzzle (same style as this) but with a girl on the front (Constance Brooke Pellington). I’ve been trying to find out information about this puzzle, and I haven’t been able to find anything. I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this item (is it rare, how much it would be priced… etc.)

Unknown said...

I have a “Are you A Preppette?” Jigsaw Puzzle (same style as this) but with a girl on the front (Constance Brooke Pellington). I’ve been trying to find out information about this puzzle, and I haven’t been able to find anything. I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this item (is it rare, how much it would be priced… etc.)

Anonymous said...

The Preppie Poster predates the official preppy handbook. I'm sure we gave her the idea! The poster was published by Punch Posters, Inc. so this one is a knock off. How do I know this....I ran Punch Posters with Tom.

Anonymous said...

And yes we did the Preppette poster as well and both posters were licensed to Frances Meyer, Inc. for the puzzles. We also did a Preppie Calender and the anti-prep handbook.